Tuesday 4 May 2010

How to run a Marathon:One persons run in the London Marathon

Mary received this account of the London Marathon from a friend who took part this year. We all thought it was moving and inspiring and we publish it here with the kind permission of the author. Our last information is that a full recovery has been made.


Dear all,

As many of you already know, I successfully completed the London marathon on Sunday in 4:18:32 which put me in 15679th place and the 3272nd woman to finish! Not quite the first place some of you were rather ambitiously predicting but in the top half! A massive thank you to all of you for your interest, good luck messages and your sponsorship. Your generosity means that I blew away my target amount for sponsorship for Whizz Kidz as well and am currently climbing towards £2,100! Well done you all.

The day didn't start well as I woke up to a flat phone battery and no idea what time it was. After showering and getting dressed I finally found a clock on the central heating controls which told me it was still only 6.45a.m.! Mairead had been a star already, feeding me pasta and donating her bed to me, and she made sure I was delivered to the station time. I had been worried about finding my way to start but there was no need - both the train and the platform were full of friendly fellow runners. Most of the people I talked to were also first time runners including one girl who had given birth only 10 months ago!

The start was a hive of activity and the rain didn't seem to dampen anyone's spirits. I made a new friend from Norwich who was starting in the same zone as me and was also running for Whizz Kidz so we lined up together. Finally the big moment was there and 15 minutes and 58 seconds later I crossed the start line, pretty close to the back of the field and alongside a man in armour.

Having only ever watched the marathon (every year) on tv, I wasn't really prepared for how overwhelming I would find the atmosphere. The crowds are mindblowing all the way around the course. They turn out with buckets of oranges, mars bars or jelly babies to help the runners. Or they set up sound systems or bands in their gardens or the local pub to help you along. They cheer people's names if they see them looking tired and some defy the many tube disruptions to appear multiple times along the course in support of friends or family. If I ever started to feel a bit tired, there would be a fantastic song to dance and clap along to as I ran past - 'Tonight's gonna be a good night' by the Black Eyed Peas was a particularly good one. I had hundreds of high fives with kids around the course. At times, I was struggling not to cry - it was amazing.

The running was not nearly as bad as I expected. I kept drinking and managed to eat a mars bar in bits during the race. I gave in to the need to pee after about 15 miles by which time the queue for the portaloo meant I only had to wait a couple of minutes! The Whizz Kidz supporters were giving me a big cheer at various points along the course and I managed to spot Mairead after about 21 miles which gave me a big boost. Sarah, Jo and Sian saw me and screamed at me but I completely failed to spot them - sorry girls! I pretended any Vote Labour posters were Gwynne cheering me on, which I knew he was in spirit. The last couple of miles were a case of picking off each 100m as it came and trying not to think that the finish was close in case all my muscles gave up. The crowds and the other runners carried me along - there was no way I was going to stop at that point.

And then I crossed the finish line, nearly tripping the girl next to me in my attempts to wave and smile at the camera! There is sense of quiet satisfaction in that area behind the line. No-one has the energy to celebrate flamboyantly and I happily got my medal and goody bag and put on my foil blanket so I looked the part! I managed to find the girls in the crowds and they fed me sweets and delivered me safely home to Cardiff for a well deserved and very much appreciated hot bath. The legs were pretty sore the following day and going downstairs was an issue but I seem to have made a full recovery!

It has definitely been one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had. And not just the day - everyone's support and encouragement has been brilliant. I recommend that any of you give it a go if you can!

Thanks again for everything.


Whizz Kidz is a charity which is all about giving disabled children and young people the chance to enjoy an active life whether at home, school or at play.
http://www.whizz-kidz.org.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment